unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
gugie would just replace the seat tube.
I have done that, it's not exactly a slam dunk. Dave Moulton says the seat lug is the hardest part of a frame to repair, and I now appreciate that. Now I want to replace the chainstays, so the whole enterprise seems a bit silly. I have some spare chainstays and I think I can reuse the seat stays, so it will probably work out.

I like the modified socket and impact wrench method, I might try that next time the opportunity presents itself. I tried using a pneumatic impact hammer which someone recommended. Didn't do anything, unfortunately.

I know someone that used to do removals for everyone in town. He would either pull them out with a winch or cut them out on his lathe. Had a bad experience on an expensive Ti frame and stopped doing it. I tried his lathe technique, but it turns out it's best if you use a smaller drill bit than I did. The chips from the seatpost destroyed the tube. Oops. I have thought of chucking up a boring head in my lathe and cutting them out that way. I think it would work.

Last edited by unterhausen; 02-25-20 at 08:08 AM.
Likes For unterhausen: