Old 02-25-20, 04:51 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 186 Posts
Iím dealing with a similar issue. My LightBicycle rims have a really strong bead retention ridge and Iím using vittoria TLR tires. I can make the bead budge by about 3mm in a very small spot if I use one palm to push the tire and one hand to pull the rim with all my strength. Iíve found the only way (besides being a gorilla) to get the bead off is to grow a 3rd hand and stick a tire lever in that 3mm gap between the tire bead and rim sidewall. Note that the lever does not go under your tire bead. If you can do that with a tubeless setup, youíre either going to hemorrhage air and sealant or risk a catastrophic burp. Anyway, this effectively saves your progress so you can repeat this push/pull maneuver next to that section. At that point the tire should pop off pretty easily. The concept is simple. And if you have a friend whoís willing to help, the execution would probably be easy too. But alone? On a cold or wet day near the end of the ride? Forget about it. Iím legitimately considering sanding down the ridge in a small section so I can get it going roadside.

A mountain biker on youtube laid the wheel on the ground, stepped on the tire and pulled the rim up. Of course roadies canít get enough purchase on our 25-30mm tires.

Last edited by smashndash; 02-25-20 at 04:58 PM.