View Single Post
Old 02-26-20, 08:15 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
subgrade Glad you're okay.
Originally Posted by GrainBrain
...Always stay behind a tractor trailer or other large truck.
I usually stay "in line" with traffic for left turns...but every situation is different. One danger of following a large truck across an intersection for a left turn is that oncoming traffic may not see you, and if the light changes, or oncoming traffic already has a green, a foolish driver in an oncoming car may try to squeeze past the end of the truck as closely as possible...and of course that's where you are. That would be one reason why turning along the right side of the truck might be a choice one would make.

Originally Posted by alo
...maybe his turn signal was blinking because he had just changed lanes.

As cyclists we all need to be alert all of the time, and do whatever we need to do to stay safe.
Yes...something to consider!

This post reminds me specifically of the first left turn of my commute home. It's at a light and the left-turn lane is separated from the through-lanes by lines that make a bike-sized gap. I have seen other riders use it, but I am always worried about a left-turning driver swinging wide to the right while looking left. On the other hand, I have been behind a truck and been a surprise to an oncoming car who jumped the green.