Old 02-27-20, 11:38 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18372 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Originally Posted by DOS
And then upon closer inspection you realize this new problem is way worse than the one you just spent money on new parts to fix?

It happens to everyone. Not necessarily in that order, but tracking down a little squeak, and finding split nipple holes.

Obviously starting small jobs like repacking bearings and finding PITS

Discovering a minor miscalculation from previous maintenance makes a nightmare today.

Originally Posted by DOS
— $150 for a new Hed Belgium + rim, reuse spokes, and rebuild the wheel myself. Which will result, after a lot of swearing,in a pretty good wheel.

— $250 for a new rim and new spokes and rebuild the wheel myself.This will result, after a lot of swearing, in a marginally better wheel with more reliable spokes.

— $350 to ship the hub to the wheel builder from whom I bought the wheel and have them rebuild it into a new rim with new spokes. This will result in an excellent wheel tensioned to NASA level precision.
Don't forget the option.... $350 - $150 = $150 New Parts PLUS $200 NEW TOOLS!!!!

Originally Posted by DOS
Sapim Cx Ray,$3.50 per x 28 spokes = $98.00 not counting nipples. Thats what the wheel is built so that would be cost to return the wheel to original.. But I could Sabe $70-$80 by going with basic double butted round spokes.
There may be other vendors, but I've had good luck with E-Bay searches.

E-Bay: Black J-Bend or Straight CX-Ray ($2.25 Each x 28) + 10 = $73.

E-Bay: Silver Straight Pull, CX-Ray ($1.50 Each x 28) + $10 = $52.

This vendor cuts them to length including mm increments, but is closer to your quote

Last edited by CliffordK; 02-27-20 at 11:41 AM.