cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: http://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
Originally Posted by eyemkeith
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I'm still trying to hit the mark, though. While some of the suggestions are good in terms of reach, they're so tall (300mm) my bars would be even with my teeth, which, I'm told, is not a good look for me. And the stem adapters -" to 1 1/8", while a good idea, are also either too short or too tall (again, 300mm). If I could find a solution that was in the 225mm range, I would go with that.

Ideally, I'd like a 225mm tall quill stem with 26.0 clamp (my origin8 mustache bars are 26.0, as are the SOMA Portolo bars I'd like to try) and a 40mm, or less, reach. The stem i currently have -- a Nitto Technomic Road Quill Stem: 50mm; 72 Deg 225mm Quill; 1"; 26.0 -- is nearly perfect, if it was a cenimeter shorter or so.
Finding this combo with a 26.0mm clamp may be the biggest difficulty - shortening the stem isn't.

If you have access to an angle grinder and tabletop belt sander, you can cut down most stems and fine-tune the angle of the cut until it is perfectly parallel with the angle of the wedge.

At worst, you'll probably have to get a shorter binder bolt from McMaster Carr (which, if properly chosen, will be equally as strong as the stock bolt provided with the stem - if not better).

-Kurt