Old 03-02-20, 01:27 PM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
Race Season Timing Woes and the Bike Racer Mindset (California need not apply)

I've lived and raced in the PNW (MT, OR, WA) for most of my adult life and I can never get past WHEN the bulk of the road racing season is held. Our season was supposed to kick off last weekend (race was canceled) and usually goes through June, save for small weekly series races. If you've ever been to the PNW in February through June, you know that this is NOT the time you want to be doing outdoor activities. That being said, why the hell is this when the racing season is held? I've had races in MT shortened because of overnight snow dumps. Then promoters will act surprised that it snowed in MT in the WINTER. Oregon promoters get confused and frustrated when racers pull out or DNS March/April races when it's 40F and pouring. The race I'm hoping to do this weekend has snow predicted in the forecast. It's emotionally taxing to get hyped about a race only to have it get canceled/postponed/etc.

When I quit racing a few years back, I'd listen to my racer friends moan about the conditions of the races they "had" to ride in with freezing temps, rain, occasional snow, etc. Every time they complained about it, all i could do was think that I had made the right call in quitting. I hate being cold, I hate being wet, and I CERTAINLY hate being both at the same time.

The last race I did was in late April of 2017. It was a gravel race and the weather was dreadful. Almost 1/8th of the entire start list (all categories) DNS'd or DNF'd. I had gotten into a complex discussion with a teammate in the days leading up to this race about running full fenders due to the predicted conditions. I opted to go full-wrap fenders, as I figured staying that little bit warmer was worth the extra 2 pounds and increased aero drag. Most of the race was between 41-46F and absolutely pissing rain. I remember going up the final climb at a sustained 300W while shivering and unable to do simple mental math. I'd occasionally make a fist and squeeze a stream of water out of my "waterproof" winter gloves. I placed well at the race, but didn't even care. I was done. I went for maybe 20 rides over the next 12 months, and only when the weather was perfect. I did a post-race interview with the promoter and all I could muster up was "I'll never do this race again." ...needless to say, I didn't make the highlight reel.

I've chatted with a few promoters as why they hold races in the crappiest part of the year and I always get the same answer: "Nobody shows up to summer races." I asked why they think that might be. It's usually a mix of "family vacation time", "kids out of school", "too hot (lol)", or my favorite: "break before the cross season ramp."

What they never seem to address is what I (and most of my friends) experience: Burnout after training and racing in the most miserable conditions the entire year can offer. Am I part of a specific demographic that gets this,or does it happen to people outside of my circle?? Back when I was racing a lot, I'd reach mid May or so then check out. I was so tired of spending my weekends being soaked to the bone, then having to take the entire next day to try and salvage the remnants of my drivetrain, bearings, brakepads, etc. What do I have to look forward to after destroying my bike? A week of training in the shortass dark cold days leading up to another freezing bike-destroying race.

I posit that simply moving the PNW season back 2-3 months would see not only more participation, but faster racers.

/rant