Bike Forums - View Single Post - Is buying a brand new old frame worth it?
Old 03-02-20, 02:17 PM
base2 
Random Internet Person.

Bikes: 5 good ones, and the occasional project.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 125 Posts
Road bike, mountain bike is the same skill set. If you can build one, you can build another.

Just pay attention to the various standards when you build. Headset/bottom brackets, brakes (disk/rim), & drop out width being the predominant things to look out for.

All my disc bikes have 132.5 or 135mm drop out spacing. Some of the inexpensive frames & or aftermarket forks have both brake mounts & canti-studs so you can go with either if you choose. Disc brakes come in flat mount & post mount varieties. Either variety comes in hydraulic &/or mechanical. (Except for one TRP Hy/Rd model which is both)So there is that to look out for.

Shifting is at 11 speeds now. 12 if you are super fancy. 9 & 10 speed is cheap by comparison. But shifters still go up front & derailleurs still bolt to derailleur hangers. Sticking within a group set is still the most fool-proof method, but not always necessary. So nothing new there.

Bottom brackets are sticky. For the most part you are limited by whatever the frame is designed around. The new SRAM Dub standard is pretty interesting though. You buy the crank arm/spindle you want. Then buy the spider you want. Install the spider to the spindle. Follow that up with whatever bottom bracket that fits your frame. Pressfit, BB386, BSA, whatever, it doesn't matter. The spindle is small enough in diameter & long enough to fit in all bicycles. A spacer at the outboard bearing & a preload collar on the non-drive side does the rest.

I always start with used frames & a box of parts. So "worth it" is pretty subjective. But a new build is always rewarding from a hobby & satisfaction perspective...So I say: "Go for it."

I shouldn't have to "make myself more visible;" Drivers should just stop running people over.
Likes For base2: