View Single Post
Old 03-03-20, 03:30 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: The growing fleet: Scott Sub Cross 30, Specialized Crosstrail Sport, Scott Scale 970

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 35 Posts
The original wheels that come with the Crosstrails are nice on pavement, but had noticed they are harsh and not long lasting on gravel. I popped many spokes and have heard others having this issue as well.

Plus the wheels are narrow and a real pain to get tires on and removed. Was told by my LBS the wheels can handle tires as small as 28mm. Well, I used the bike far more rough than what the wheels could handle.

I ended up getting larger mountain bike wheels, had the spokes tensioned properly and haven't had any issues. You could easily get a new decent rear wheel for $100.

I got a set of Weinman wheels dirt cheap from the now bankrupt Performance Bikes. Had my LBS check out spoke tension and haven't had any issues on gravel with them. It has wheelmaster hubs and this past fall, I repacked the bearings. It didn't seem to me that the manufacturer put much grease at all in the hub. I really greased the heck out of it and wow, it rode so much better once complete.

But also bought a nice set of Sun Ringle mountain bike wheels that in my opinion have much higher quality hubs, front and rear wheels for less than $200.

Last edited by travbikeman; 03-03-20 at 03:34 PM.