View Single Post
Old 03-03-20, 07:47 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: The growing fleet: Scott Sub Cross 30, Specialized Crosstrail Sport, Scott Scale 970

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Tanstaafl View Post
Thanks for all the great responses.

I went down to the LBS and the mechanic there put a new spoke in and checked the tension. I am hoping he is one of the good ones. He did tell me the rims are double walled and that broken spokes are going to happen now and then.

Still, I think I will look for a second set of wheels with a wider tire/rim. So glad right now I got disc brakes! I probably can't get a mountain bike wheel in there, but I think I can fit a 45-48 or so running around 50 psi. Any recommendations on a decent brand. I don't need the top-of-the-line stuff, but I want to avoid the bottom of the barrel for sure.

Thanks again,
Jeff
Actually you can fit mountain bike wheels with quick release on these bikes, You will not be able to fit a mountain bike tire greater than 29x2" on it for clearance issues. But you should be able to fit a 45-48 gravel type of tire easily on a mountain bike wheel. I have a 42 on my Crosstrail with mountain bike wheelset, although when I measure it, it shows up as a 39.4.