Old 03-05-20, 12:17 AM
torger

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 12 Posts
So the back wheel is now laced. It was no easy task. Sewing thread, magnet, lots of electric tape and patience finally did it. I used morgan blue aquaproof grease as spoke prep, I did not want something that would stiffen fast, as it took me a couple of hours just lacing this thing. I will also monitor and service these wheels periodically so a thread locker is unnecessary anyway.

Not yet tensioned. I need to measure the stiffness of the spoke type (pillar wing 23) first so I can get in the proper tensioning range. Due to the 36 -> 24 lacing (not recommended) half of the spokes needed to be a couple of mm shorter and may need a few percent less tension. I'll see if it becomes a problem. I think it will work out fine though. The reason I'm using a 36 hole hub is simply because that was what I could get hold of with 145mm width at a (somewhat) reasonable price here in Europe.

24 spokes on 36 hole hub. Due to 2.5 degree offset between flanges half of the spokes need to be 2mm shorter.

laced, but not tensioned yet

24 spokes on 36 hole hub. Darker spokes are shorter to compensate for the 2.5 degree flange offset.