View Single Post
Old 03-08-20, 01:09 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug Fattic
This morning I sent Tom by email a long set of instructions on how to take his frame dimensions and turn them into a full size drawing. I'm not sure they have much general application here since those instructions were not how to design a frame on paper but rather how to recreate a design with already known dimensions. If someone else wants to know too I can post those instructions or send them an email too.

There are some pages in my class manual where I have them record each tube they used (not just the brand but all its dimensions like wall thickness and butt lengths) as well as every frame design dimension. Usually this activity has to be encouraged or it won't get done. The purpose is that later when they are riding their frame they may want to make some changes on their next build and they have a record of what they did so they can figure out what to do differently.

The work of a teacher is never really done. I often answer questions from students that took my class long ago. Teachers can have different philosophies on how they approach their responsibilities. One of my most basic ones is that I keep working on explaining and illustrating until something is understood. In other words it is my responsibility to see that knowledge is transferred instead of just expecting the students to "get it" once I've made a decent presentation. Another way of explaining it is that everyone needs to do the quality of work to earn an "A". Getting a B or C or worse is not acceptable and I need to do whatever so they not only leave class with a professional quality frame but also have the background to do that in the future. Of course not everyone has the inherited skills to make wonderful frames so I have to take up some of the slack.
That last version looks quite refined.