View Single Post
Old 03-09-20, 10:37 AM
akexpress 

Bikes: 2015 Calfee Tetra tandem,2016 Calfee Tetra Adventure Tandem, Ventana ECDM 26 mtn tandem, Ventana ECDM 29r full suspension Mtn tandem ,Ventana Fat tire tandem, Calfee Dragon Fly, Santa Cruz Carbon 5010, 907 Whiteout fat tire

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
So we put down the deposit to start our build. I spec’d Calfee’s house brand rims, 50 mm deep, 28 spokes. 142 through axle hub. They’ll take tires from 25mm road tires to 45 mm wide off road tires.

short term plan is just to swap tires as needed. Eventually, these wheels will keep skinny road tires on, and we’ll get a second set of wheels for a set off road tires. I want the second wheels to be robust for off road use and touring with a moderate load. Any thoughts on rims for those?
We ended up with a set of Nextie Carbon 30mm wide rims on DT swiss hubs in 27.5 diameter and have run 47mm tires for those applications with good results. There are a lot of tire choices in that configuration and we only loose about 1/2 " of ground/pedal clearance and have not had a problem with that. I like the strength of the carbon rims and I think there a number of good choices available. We have had no issues running 28 spokes on these rims. Are you building it with electronic shifting and hydraulic brakes?

Last edited by akexpress; 03-09-20 at 10:40 AM.