Old 03-10-20, 09:00 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 231 Posts
Originally Posted by smontanaro View Post
Thanks all. FWIW, eBay calculated the shipping and turned out to be lower than either shipbikes.com or bikeflights.com. It was about $68 for eBay, $78 for shipbikes and $101 for bikeflights. Also, I didn't have to measure or weigh anything. The max weight (70lbs?) and max length+girth (153in?) were both generous. I was well under on both. It went FedEx (Ground, I presume).

153 inches is way too big. 130 inches for a complete bike, 108 inches for a frameset. Cross either size limit and the price can double. Depending on the bike box, I find a lot of them to be about 138 inches, which means I have to cut them down.

LBS here charges $100 to pack a bike. Buyers will not pay that price.

On the bigger stuff, Ebay's shipping calculator does not include insurance or signature on delivery. I find both of those are important on the higher priced stuff.

I have gotten to the point I will pack a frameset, no bikes. Too much hassle with too little return. I have a few times sold frame buyers bike "build kits". They contacted me later, and I sold them the parts I had just taken off. Win/win, as the buyer gets parts they know will fit, and I get an additional sale.

I have fit frames up to 64cm in a 108 inch box. But it took creating a box with a lid, to reduce box width. Shipped as far as New Zealand.