Old 03-10-20, 08:21 PM
schoolboy2 
Easily Led Astray

Bikes: Trek 5200, Trek Domane 5.2, Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
I am planning to participate in a five day event in Louisiana in April called Cycle Zydeco. And hopefully a 1000+ mile ride from Dayton, OH to Pueblo, CO in the summer. Unless things get a lot worse, I see no reason to postpone these two domestic trips. But then I'm currently in Australia and my wife and I are looking at nearly 20 hours of travel time to return to California next week which forced us to do some extra research as well as some soul searching. We both feel that with minimal precautions we'll be just fine. We do recognize that there is a minor risk of infection; however, even if we were infected, the virus has a low fatality rate and most cases are so mild that the infected person doesn't even recognize that they have it. This isn't to say that others shouldn't make the decision to stay local this year, but we feel safe to follow our original plans.

Regarding the Amtrak discussion above, I've used Amtrak several times and really like the service. As mentioned, for many trains there is roll on - roll off service which requires no boxing at all. If you plan on using it, please carefully check with Amtrak to confirm that your train offers this service and how to go about using it as it may require a bike reservation.