Old 03-12-20, 02:49 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob_E
I also have a 360 degree camera. One nice feature is that I can put it on the selfie stick, and stick it out far enough away from my bike so that I can capture the surrounding terrain and/or me on my bike. It's handy because you don't have to worry about pointing the camera anywhere. you just capture everything and frame the shot however you want to later. This is a poorly-done video of a ride though the local art museum park. It's a poor example of what can be done with a 360 camera because I somehow exported it with a weird frame size, and some of transitions are choppy, too, because I don't have a great handle on the editing software (or much patience, I guess, for spending more time editing than riding), but you can see how sometimes the focus is the stuff around me and sometimes it's me and the bike. The camera was on a stick and mounted to the handlebars. I would move it to where it's in front of me, or behind me, or above me, but the choice of where the camera is focused is all made after the fact.
Thanks fort the thought. I'd be interested to see a better quality video and a comparison between the 360 view and the "normal" view. That is my understanding of what you described - that you can use the software to edit the picture to "aim" the camera where you want it within the 360 view. That seems like a lot of work.

Overall what I am after is just a fixed "selfie stick" that is long enough to get the camera out away from me while I ride to get more in the picture while also being totally hands-free. That may require some fabrication.

Another idea is a telescopic painters pole if I need something "long" with some kind of camera mount on it and a way to fix the pole to the bike.