Old 03-15-20, 10:00 AM
mtseymour

Bikes: 2022 Calfee Tetra, 2023 Giant TCR

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tmhudg
Synchro shifting worked well on the stand so I was eager to try it on the road. In a word - meh. I don't like it and I think I'm going to stick to manual shifting. When it does the double shift it's really not very smooth and we get a bit of extra noise and that skip/fast pedal effect when you don't get a good catch on the chain. I know there is an adjustment you can make for how fast it makes the shift so that might help with this problem - not sure.
The biggest advantage of Di2 or eTap is front shifting. The improved rear shifting is significant (consistency, speed) but the front shifting is the biggest payoff (no dropped chain or missed shift under load). The Steelhead drive train was configured for cable shifting with lightweight chainrings. Your Di2 front shifting will improve considerably with an upgrade to a Sram Force or Red 50T chainring. These rings look more beefy because they have pins and ramps to help drag the chain up from the inner ring. The Shimano Ultegra and Dura-Ace rings also shift smoothly under load for the same reasons. Unfortunately, the Shimano rings use a 4-bolt pattern and won't fit on your FSA cranks. We got really smooth Synchro shifting with the Red chaingrings.