Old 03-19-20, 06:42 PM
schoolboy2 
Easily Led Astray

Bikes: Trek 5200, Trek Domane 5.2, Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
If you have concerns about pedaling your bike around the hills of VT, I suggest you start by investigating changing your gearing and riding for fitness until you can easily climb VT hills unloaded. Stronger wheels with a higher spoke count may also be needed, especially in the rear, where most of your weight will be carried. If the cost estimates for these two changes become significant, it may be wiser to simply buy a touring bike. I have put thousands of miles on my Surly Long Haul Trucker, but there are lots of touring bike options available.

There are plenty of good suggestions for ways to pack and carry your gear regardless of the bike you choose. When I first started touring in 2013, I found a website for ultra lightweight touring and I suggest that you start with this philosophy: The less stuff you carry, the lighter your bike and the easier it will be to pedal. Evaluate every item you intend to take. Ask yourself the question: "Do I absolutely need this?" Recognize that unless you're touring in some desolate off-road areas, you can usually find plenty of supplies along the way and if you have a major mechanical, there are plenty of cars and trucks traveling on your route that will carry you and your bike to the next town. I actually had someone drive me and my bike to a campground and return the next morning with tools and hardware to fix a broken rack mount.

Bike touring is an amazing experience.