Bike Forums - View Single Post - Is buying a brand new old frame worth it?
Old 03-21-20, 09:42 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 143 Posts
If it comes with a fork and seatpost then totally worth it, if not see if you can find both at a reasonable price to begin with, Felt still used 1" steerer and an aero post. I think there is some over complicating in the thread, building a bike isn't really a big deal. Rear hubs for road are 130mm, for 11sp DT went 131mm, not a width worth worrying about, it'll be quick release front and rear and although bikes are moving into thru-axle road hubs are still being made in top quality to the older standards. Dura Ace, Ultegra and 105 hubs are still available in 130mm, so getting a wheelset or building one will be easy. Your biggest question is what do you want to build it with? Drop bars and aero add-ons or a real tri setup; the nice thing about building a frame is you can pick the handlebars and parts that matter. From there you're really looking at 10vs11sp and sram vs shimano, it doesn't take much shopping around to find bargains on all this stuff. I just bought a frame to swap parts over and the seatpost and bb weren't compatible, little browsing resulted in a control tech carbon post for 20.00 from Amazon warehouse deals and a sram bb from elsewhere for 15.00. You can pick any GXP, Shimano hollowtech 2, or bb86 crank and just make sure you buy the right 68mm english threaded bb to go with it and you get to pick the crank length that really suits you; head over to slowtwitch and read up on the rabbit hole that is appropriate crank length for tri bikes. I agree here that shorter is better to keep your knees out of your chest.
But with this frame, make sure of fork and seatpost first, it was a 2k dollar Dura ace equipped bike when new that was fast, you can build it just as well for less or better for the same with some shopping and knowing what you want.