Bike Forums - View Single Post - 1972 Bottecchia Special
View Single Post
Old 03-23-20, 07:33 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, Rocky Mountain Cardiac, 196? Torpado Professional

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 757 Post(s)
Liked 271 Times in 193 Posts
My understanding is required pressure for road bikes is a function of total weight (bike+rider+pack) and tire width. At least, that's how I've always approached inflation.
Good suggestion but, sadly, I am more of a restorer than a bicycle rider. Make no mistake, I put a lot of miles on my bikes, but know little about technical riding issues, other than, perhaps, how to fit the bike to me or me to the bike (see what I mean). That said;;;

Ride the lonely roads of Jamaica with me and my guess is that you will soon seek high pressures. If not fully inflated, snake bite becomes incredibly common...

Anyway, at about 200 pounds and always carrying a, somewhat full, back pack, I seek full pressure. That said...

I have always run 23s on the front and 25s on the rear. These days, thanks to what I learned on my Jamaica Bianchi and here, at Bike Forums, bigger air volume is the only way to go on those lonely roads. And, I like the bigger tires so much that my main ride in Canada sports mountain bike tires with plenty of cushy air volume and at a dramatically reduced pressures...