Old 03-24-20, 02:10 AM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by 100bikes
From my perspective, the alignment is off.
The pulleys are definitely out of alignment in the vertical plane, and may be out in the horizontal plane as well.
A photo from the bottom of the assembly would be helpful, as would a drive side shot of the area.

Was dropout replaced?
Did the bicycle fall over on the drive side?
Was the derailleur removed ?
Potential exists to cross thread it into the dropout( alloy is pretty soft material, relative to the derailleur bolt)
Is the derailleur hanger original? I ask because , from the photo the mounting appears to be a bit wonky.

The derailleur does not seem to be square to the hanger(note the slight gap of the derailleur at the bottom of hanger
and the angle of the derailleur stop on the hanger itself which is off center),

While there is really no replacement for the correct tool(Dropout alignment tool), a simple and gentle
"cold set/ BEND" toward the wheel of the bottom of the pulley assembly would be a bandaid fix.

Good luck.
rusty
Thanks for the feedback. Yes the bike has been involved in some falls, but the derailleur hanger is brand new. The derailleur itself might have been damaged.

I am pretty sure the derailleur hanger is installed correctly and snugly against the frame. It is the correct derailleur hanger for my frame.

I have just ordered a derailleur alignment tool, to see if that brings a solution to the problem. If not, I will try to fix the derailleur itself, or replace it.

Here are some more shots from different angles of the area:

Originally Posted by woodcraft
I have a Force RD that I held up the pic of yours.

Based on that, the body looks aligned, & the cage does not,

so I think there's little to lose in attempting to muscle the cage back into alignment.

I would take the cage apart and try to bend (straighten) the attached side while not damaging the hanger.
Thanks a lot for that photo, that is really helpful!

I think you might be right, it seems to me that the derailleur cage is warped "outwards" both horizontally and vertically. The bottom pulley is way too far out from the cassette versus the body.

I will first try the derailleur alignment, see if that fixes it. If not, I will attempt to straighten out the derailleur cage. If that doesn't work, I guess I'll need to replace the derailleur.

Thanks!