Old 03-25-20, 03:56 AM
greenspark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts
Not sure if 1999 is vintage, but what is a MBcycle by Mercedes?

I picked this up on TradeMe, the NZ auction site and it arrived five hours before the country shuts down for at least four weeks. It is a Mercedes brand bicycle called the MBcycle, with a sales printout date of 28 march 1999, 21 years ago. It is surprisingly good condition, although I suppose that is typical with bikes like this... bought as a bauble and sat in the garage for the next two decades. Very little wear on anything, although it does appear they hit a curb with the rear tyre and dented the aluminium rim. I bought it to upgrade with a Bafang BBSHD motor. I have been using a Bella Ciao steel frame but the salt spray on the ferry is beginning to take its toll. I also want to try out a motor with a Gates belt drive, which this one has. I will have to do a bit of parts swapping. The fenders (guards) are half length, and I happen to have the same brand in full. I immediately removed the Sella sport seat and replaced it with a Brooks saddle that does not fit the sleek Mercedes style but does fit me. The frame design means changing the rear wheel does not produce any belt drive gymnastics.

The quality is high. Shimano Nexus 7 speed, roller brakes, dynamo that rubs on the tyre with a handlebar tensioner. It has a luggage rack that does double duty as a bike lock, except that it is attached to the removable seat stem unless I have not figured out how to work it.

Does anyone know about it? Who made it? How many out there?