Old 03-27-20, 07:51 PM
DTownDave22

Bikes: hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by detroitjim View Post
Yeah man....I've mapped a route . Downtown to downtown is about 60 miles. A round trip would be easily done in one day when our daylight hours get over 12.
It's just that I was hoping to hear from someone that pedaled down to Toledo.
Maybe utilizing their path ,trusting their perception that ,it wasn't excessively perilous.

I suppose that I'll have to drive down that way. Doing recon for a suitable route that I'll be comfortable with in the saddle.
Share the route if you don't mind and I'll see if I notice anything that you should consider in the areas I ride in. Due to changes in Google Maps, there's a bit of added path to the Downriver Linked Greenway that is missing and that I would have added by now but now it seems like a mystery in suggesting edits. It basically runs from Elizabeth Park (with a sliver in Wyandotte but definitely a tad bumpier but gets a passing grade) and has a few segments without a path but runs to Lake Erie Metropark. Not sure why Google changed it--not sure where to look up such info as to why but that's another discussion. (edit: humans being humans..like always we find a way to f*** things up. Whether it's the internet or the planet, it's what we do. Smarter, hairless monkeys with shiny toys if you care to read https://techcrunch.com/2016/11/08/go...-editing-tool/).

Taking some basic notes for a longer route in less familiar territory: Unless one has a great memory, it's almost necessary to take notes for making an informed decision, otherwise I find I lose track easily not being familiar with the intersecting roads/lack of landmarks as noted. For example, there are stretches of Telegraph that appear to have 2 lanes. south of Gibraltar. Dixie appears to be a viable option though.

I avoid 1-lane/higher speed roads generally but traffic volume/how aggressive they are likely to drive is a key variable of course. Going through with Google Maps street view and surveying Telegraph & X Road: to Telegraph & Y Road has 2 lanes (# miles/ speed limit) and take some notes on paper or Microsoft Word. Not as feasible for a bike tour of course unless you have a lot of time to do so.

Speeds
I do notice one note--speed limits signs seem like bigfoot! On some of the roads I had looked at a few days ago as I've been curious about riding down south before! I don't know if people are scrapping them (unlikely), hitting them, or if I'm missing them when surveying on Google Maps but I sure as hell don't see too many and it's odd. I know generally on such a road in lesser developed/main roads, the speed limit is almost always going to be 45MPH and above, but I'll take 45 over 55 any day.

Construction
There is of course the perpetual construction season--that can be a true PITA so just be aware. Also, if you were at all interested in going off the beaten path and riding on Grosse Ile at all (there is a bike path), even if only southbound or northbound, the free bridge (southern most bridge) is scheduled to be closed starting about May 1, 2020. You said >12 hours daylight and that is coming soon I believe. The toll bridge is free to cyclists but definitely is not something I'd be crazy about riding on a weekday outside of off-hours if the free bridge is close for construction. Otherwise, the pay bridge is fairly light to moderate on traffic when I travel, which is kind of funny considering G.I. is > avg. household income.

MDOT's online map didn't have any construction shown for Michigan Ave. I think one lane was closed for a good 1-3 miles (possibly more) at least one way, this past summer for however many weeks. I do a bit of work before/check in on what's changed and so on, periodically during orange barrel season and it's usually accurate but not always.

Last edited by DTownDave22; 03-28-20 at 09:03 AM.