View Single Post
Old 03-28-20, 08:07 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Call covered everything we got notices on earlier yesterday regarding the layoffs and furloughs. 40% of all staff. The rest took pay cuts. Supposedly everyone.

They wouldn't seem to budge on the date in terms of giving any indication but honestly said they just don't know anything at this point. My race is May 17th and I don't anticipate being able to run it. I have asked the village and they are wanting to wait before they decide but are open to rearranging the date. We have had 4 or 5 races so far just cancel outright. Not worth trying to postpone or impossible due to venue constraints.

Everyone always says I am too melodramatic but this time I really do think road is dead for this season. If we are back in time for late July/ The Intelligentsia Cup then it will be super busy...if everyone feels safe. If it's the first event back then it won't have numbers. Not sure what that means for Schuler and crew. They are smart and will look for the long term success over pushing it for one year and losing.

...but cyclocross will be absolutely off the hook. Sooooo many people already talking about it and basically trashing the rest of the road season.
Its really too soon to say, because you need info that’s unavailable until this plays out to a greater extent, but I would be surprised if we’re back to large public events this summer. I think we’ll probably get to the point of small gatherings being ok by summer with a good chance of social isolation coming back this fall.

I don’t know this enough to be cancelling my summer plans for crowd-intensive things (gravel race, Disneyland). But I’m skeptical they’ll be ok.

I dont think youre wrong to think there will be no road season this year. I’d be a little surprised if there will be a cross season this year.

Hopefully it does not unfold the way I see it unfolding and we’re back to “normal” soon enough.
Likes For Heathpack: