View Single Post
Old 04-26-03, 12:22 PM
mcone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try not to set your price range right away. You might overlook a great bike thats cheaper then you were thinking or overlook a higher priced bike like a left-over last year model that your local lbs might cut you a deal on.

Since we don't know your body type, riding style, road conditions, etc., it is tough to recommend a frame/fork. No two people are alike and each brand / frame material rides different. Plus the geometry differs from brand to brand. This is where a lbs really helps.

As for components, look at your mtb bike. You probably have a mixture of components like XT or XTR on the drive train and components such as LX or Deore on brakes, shifters, etc. The same goes for road bikes. For a good starting point, the 105 components seem to get a lot of praise. With cleaning and basic maintenance, they should last many years.

The rest of my post will be my comments on some of the previous posts. If you are going to buy online then use that online retailer for your pre-sales questions. I am sure they list their email address or phone number. Tell them your body measurements and have them recommend the correct size. If you use a lbs for pre-sales, at least have the courtesy to buy from them. Don't try to justify the "stealing" of service by saying you will take your bike there for service. It will take many years of regular visits for maintenance to make up for the loss of the several hours they spent answering your questions, fitting you, and letting you test ride their bikes.

I am not rich and I do shop around for the best prices. I make a lot of bike and non-bike purchases online. But I know the value of people's time and knowledge and I am willing to pay for that. I also know that they will take care of me in the future with free tune-ups, warranty claims, discounts on upgrades, etc.