Old 03-29-20, 03:05 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3693 Post(s)
Liked 392 Times in 296 Posts
Originally Posted by chewybrian View Post
I think that is the idea, that we just slow the progress, but not really stop the end result of infections.

I think the theory is that by slowing down the process, we can keep the hospitals from overflowing. Perhaps we can keep people from dying for lack of access to a ventilator or an ICU bed. So, on that basis, it is possible that fewer people will die. Also, by stretching it out, it is possible that some people will not get it before a vaccine becomes available.
Yes, but there's a bit more to it. If the virus doesn't spread it will die, it needs to infect a person to stay alive. So after a time of social distancing there has to be very much less of the virus around. From that situation and with lots of tests beeing available you can target specific contagion spots and isolate the people connected to that spot or person. Managing the outbreak is extremely crude right now, if it gets much more precise it will be much less of burden to society and the economy. I assume that will have to be the long term strategy.
Likes For Stadjer: