Old 03-29-20, 07:56 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3689 Post(s)
Liked 390 Times in 294 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony P. View Post
I don't believe it's possible to eradicate almost any virus. For example, the poliovirus still exists although under 100 people get polio, worldwide. The reason Covid-19 can't be eradicated is that it is in nearly 200 countries and will travel around the world like the flu no matter what we do in the US. Rather, the approach is to find treatments to reduce the symptoms and a vaccine to protect people. However, like the flu Covid-19 is likely to change over time so outbreaks are likely to continue even with a vaccine.
What I meant is that individual Covid-19 virions (I had to look that up) can't survive for very long without a host, an infected person. So when social distancing is successful ther will be much less of the virus around, still some, but with a lot of testing you can identify where it's spreading again and stop it there. That means that life for most people can go back to normal again and only small pockets of people have to go in lock down and less and less when more people become immune.