Bike Forums - View Single Post - Is buying a brand new old frame worth it?
Old 03-29-20, 09:30 AM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), FMF Race BMX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
So, I bought a (very) old profile base and aero bar for $20 - came with 1056 shifters and brake levers, which I is what I wanted at the time, so zero cost. These are the ones that have a bracket to mount downtube shifters behind the loop of the aerobar.

I bought a 2001 specialized allez frame for $130 - came with fork, which was key as it's likewise 1" threadless. I bought a shim to use a 1 1/8 stem, 1" stems were a real pain to try and find.

I kept my Kinlin wheels when I sold my road bike last year, and had found a Powertap SL+ wheel for $200 (it works). Everything else came out of parts bin (I tinker a lot), so I'm really into this tri/tt bike thing running 8sp rear and with power for about $350 if I include the Powertap wheel and a cheapie front, more if I include the cost of the good wheels, but I had them sitting around. It can be done, but you have to find things. I do often see TT/Tri cockpits with shifters and brake levers on sale for 100-500 in various levels of newness and quality (much newer and better than what I bought)