Thread: Applying decals
View Single Post
Old 03-29-20, 01:52 PM
ddeand 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 46 Posts
I’ve been following the decal and clear coat threads closely since that’s where I’m at with two of my projects. Today I applied the decals to my 1974 Raleigh International, and it was a nerve-wracking couple of hours. My original goal was to get the bike looking good from the 10-foot range, but the more I got into it, I became more exacting. One problem I faced was that the decal placement seems to be all over the place - there’s no real precise set of locations for some of the decals. I followed the Velocals instructions, and they worked well enough. The process wasn’t too difficult, and the mistakes I made probably wouldn’t be noticed by most riders. For instance, the Carlton decal isn’t centered between the gold bands on the seat tube, and one of the Raleigh decals on the downtube could have been positioned a little differently. Pretty minor stuff, though. My advice is to go slowly, cut the decals with a straight edge, get your tape and marks exactly where you want them, and forge ahead. Now for the clear coat.