Old 03-30-20, 10:28 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3350 Post(s)
Liked 3,614 Times in 1,239 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
FWIW I changed from an 11/28 on a 52/36 a couple of years ago to a bike w/ 50/34 and an 11/34 cassette, I was actually slower climbing with the latter
I've noticed a similar phenomenon when I ride my fixed gear. Since I'm stuck in 44x17 I just get out of the saddle and stomp my way up rather than shift, sit, and spin.

Originally Posted by jdishner
Thanks again - very helpful questions. I don't know yet how fast I'll be riding here, and it doesn't look like there will be many groups in my area, or that many riders at all based on Strava activity. I would typically average about 19.5 and about 90 avg cadence, thats solo and group rides, no races. There's a lot more elevation here so it will be take a while but it will average out, probably between 18-19. There aren't a lot of flat calm conditions in midcoast Maine, but as a group we would be in the mid 20's to upper 20's depending on wind and group.

I think the 48 would be good change, what I really want (which I realized after reading the responses here) is to be able to spend more time in the big ring, and the low end climbing capability will be helpful as well.
I fully endorse the idea of going to smaller chainrings. I have a 46/30 on one of my bikes and I more or less treat it as a 1X plus granny. 98% of my time is on the big ring in the middle of the cassette.
Likes For abshipp: