Old 03-30-20, 01:23 PM
uncle uncle

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 64 Posts
Anyone out there with first hand opinion on using new freewheels?

So, like many of you, I've been doing some major sorting of my bicycle parts hoard while trying to physically distance myself from society. I'd like to get a bicycle going for some gravel road riding, and I've had this 80's Fuji bicycle stuffed in the back of the shed for quite some time, all the while thinking someday I would refurb it for just this type of riding. The only gravel riding I've done so far is when I've taken a wrong turn and found myself facing either going down a mile or so of gravel road, or turning back.
Anyways... back on topic. This particular Fuji's only original parts, as far as I can tell, are the derailleurs (Suntour Compe-V up front, a Suntour branded "Fuji" Road Vx-S doing duty in the rear). Though Disraeligears says the max cog this rear derailluer can handle is 28 teeth, the original Fuji catalog quotes the rear 6 speed cog as having a 30 as the largest cog... so, some differences of opinions, right from the start. The current freewheel is much smaller in range, so I'm going to pull that one and store it away, maybe for another assignment. I could probably find a 14-28 six speed freewheel in my stash, but apparently a new Shimano-ish (twist tooth + ramps) one could be had for around $15. I don't think I'm going to find anything in my box with Shimano twist tooth + ramps features, because most of what I've had in the past is pre-index stuff. I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with using a new freewheel like this (keeping the derailleurs old and non-indexed), or absent that, at least opinions on it? Thanks for the response, in advance....