Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
I suspect many things will go the other way... deflation. With so many people out of work, (or making less money) and less willing to spend what dollars they do have, sellers of certain items will be forced to lower their prices.
Yep, no doubt. I think we're seeing some of that, already, as in lowered prices on things not selling on craigslist, and current fuel prices ( $1.79 ! Woo Hoo!), to name just a couple.
It's hard to guess which way things will go on items like bike tubes and tires,but my thoughts are that we'll see temporary,isolated price drops from distressed shops looking to unload existing inventory, in a cash-strapped market. But on the other side, the relatively limited number of manufacturers may have to compensate for escalating production and raw material costs. I think things like brand new bikes, will be a luxury, and see drops in price (Lynskey has been running 25% off on everything, for a while now, biggest discount I've seen them run), while things like items needed to extend the service life of them, like tires and tubes, may go higher.
Or not.