Old 04-11-20, 11:01 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Yikes. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

I slipped on an icy puddle three weeks ago. The temperature was in the 50s but I'm guessing it was left over from a bit of sleet or hail the night before. Fortunately I was going very slowly, maybe 8 mph. Landed on my right side, same shoulder that was broken and dislocated two years ago. No pain at the time, not even a bruise.

But a week later my ribs began aching. Still have some rib pain on that side. But I'm not going to the doctor for that. Nothing they can do for broken ribs anyway, and there's no internal injury or risk of puncturing anything. Just takes a few weeks to fully recover.

A full body bone scan last year revealed several healed breaks I wasn't aware of, including ribs. Didn't surprise me, I've had a lot of crashes and been hit by cars twice in less than 20 years. And I rarely went to the ER or doctor. But now at age 62 stuff breaks more easily and takes longer to heal.

I'm still gonna ride, but I'm a bit more cautious. I stopped riding with fast groups that are reckless. Fun but too risky when folks don't call out road hazards or have sketchy bike handling skills. I'll probably avoid riding when road are wet, even for errands -- I've been walking instead.