Thread: france
View Single Post
Old 02-06-06, 05:21 PM
Travelinguyrt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You are starting your touring in the BEST place for bike riding.And you will have the BEST time of your life, smile a lot, try to speak some French after a few days words on signs help a lot
I did my first long ride and first foreign ride same time ..in France, time and time again was greeted with overboard friendliness
The list above is more than enuf, my total gear for 4 months weighed about 30 lbs in 2 rear panniers and one bar bag, u find its too much to carry give some away, u need more, anything you need is available in any town

I arrived at CDG in Paris 2 pm after a long flt from MIami assembled bike and was heading out the door when a young police officer stopped me to admire my NEW bike, and advised me to take the RER into Paris instead of riding, traffic heavy and you are tired after a long flt,he said.Was great advice, got into city couldn't locate the street my hotel was on, street wasn't on my map. Asked a taxi driver, he said follow me, i show you, and he did refused any offer of money.
Had my first and only flat in 4 months next day very early in the AM as I was riding around Paris. Stopped to repair it and a motorist stopped and asked If I needed help.Offered to ferry me back to hotel, Waited till flat was fixed then shook my hand and said , Lance will win the Tour again, N'est pas?? was '04 and he did

Go out to the Normandy WW2 invasion beaches for some REAL French hospitality and friendliness, I was lost one afternoon trying to find the US Military Cemetary, a farmer stopped showed me the right way to go and offered me the BEST cider I ever had

After Chambord and Chenanceaux chateaux one day I stopped at a small country inn to have lunch. leaned the bike against a tree and went into the small terrace and waited to be seated, older gentleman came out looked at me and my bike and said.......ah another young American on a velo(bike), welcom to our inn.He seated me took my order for Salmon (which was outta sight) and returned with a glass of very nice wine, when I said I hadn't ordered any he said, If m"sieur will stand with me I would like to offer a toast, I did and he said.....I thank you as an American who comes from America as our friend as have thousands of young Americans have during 2 world wars when France asked for help, American s gave of their treasure, sons and daughters too, and we will never forget your generousity, We drank the wine and he gave me a French kiss on each cheek, the dozen or so other guests All clapped politely. AND I was in tears. '04 was the 60th anniversary of D Day and the French gov't paid for hundreds of US vets AND their families to visit during the 100 days of the events that year. The beaches at Normandy were filled with old soldiers and their families, was a heartbreaking sight to see so many who were so very young 60 years earlier now with canes and trying their best to stand straight and tall with thier kids and grandkids

Some evenings when I stopped riding and wandered around tiny villages it wasn't possible for me to pay for a drink, everyone had a story to tell me about American GIs and other American bike riders over the years

I was there only for 4 months, spent 6 weeks in France

As I was told again and again, the French are your friends but as good friends always are, we are different, but we will always be your friends

I envy your adventure. Take lots of pix and write your experiences, months and years afterwards you will return again and again to them, and perhaps you may not return here .Lucky you if that were to happen

And I did meet many Americans who have stayed on in France and Europe, Fat tire Bike Tours in Paris and several other Euro cities was started by an American who stayed to build a very successful biz and the tours around the various cities are great fun