View Single Post
Old 04-12-20, 10:30 PM
ThermionicScott 
7-speed cultist

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers)

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2785 Post(s)
Liked 708 Times in 499 Posts
Originally Posted by branko_76 View Post
I'm in the middle of restoring one of my Falcons from the early 1970's and am considering installing a NOS Campy G.S. crankset on it that I have had sitting around for a while. I also have some NOS Regina chains and freewheels as well, but I'm thinking about the diminishing availability of replacement chainrings for the Campy crank and the ever increasing cost.

In the interest of reducing wear of the chainrings, would it be better to use modern chains designed for 6,7 and 8 speed freewheels rather than vintage chains that were designed for 5-speed fw's?

Since I have about a dozen NOS freewheels, this Falcon will remain a 10-speed (5 cog freewheel) bike as long as I own it.
8-speed chains should work just fine. The important thing is to replace the chain before it elongates too much (1/16" per foot is the rule of thumb.) Do that, and you should get many thousands of miles from the rings, especially if they are a hard alloy like the old Campy rings.

P.S. Specialites TA still manufactures 144 BCD road rings. Snag a couple now if you're concerned about that: https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s113...-Chainrings-TA
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 04-12-20 at 10:41 PM.
Likes For ThermionicScott: