Old 04-14-20, 07:46 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
I've seen too many people have issues with tubeless on the road for it to be appealing to me.
This is like confirmation bias on steroids. As a non-user, and by its very nature, you'll only notice tubeless when it doesn't work for someone else - it's like taking a survey but only accepting the negative results.

I can guarantee you that 90% of the guys that I ride with don't know that I run tubeless and have been for longer than the three years that I've been riding with them. I've never had a flat while with them, but I know that I've taken punctures in their presence. Despite that, if I should take a Goldilocks puncture and go flat the next time I'm out with them, whenever that is, it'll automatically be an indictment against tubeless in their minds, because it'll be their only data point (as the successes went unnoticed).

The other thing with road tubeless, in particular, is that it's still relatively new, not all sealants seem to be appropriate for road pressure and user experience/skillset is... varied, to put it gently. Is a certain rim/tire combination really impossibly tight, or is it just that the person installing them was not yet practiced enough to do all of the little things to ease the process? Does sealant in general not work above a certain pressure or was the person using stuff better suited for MTBs?

This is why I think that it's important to talk about rates of punctures, before and after the move to tubeless, and the specifics of actual user experiences, rather than to lean on observations of failure or, even worse, parrot third-hand "experience" from those online or friends-of-friends.
Likes For WhyFi: