View Single Post
Old 04-14-20, 08:59 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked 829 Times in 538 Posts
For many years I used a Dremel model 380-5 with variable speed, that I inherited from my eldest brother, back in 1992 ish.....
It was a very basic tool, as far as rotary tools go these days, but it is rugged and never failed to do the job for me, with the few bits that came with it. Till about two years ago when it started to seem to have problems with its power chord where it goes into the tool and I was getting intermittent pulsing when I used the tool.
So it gave me enough excuse to upgrade to a new Dremel..... a top of the line model 4300 Dremel (Now a subsidiary of Bosch) with all sorts of bits and bobs and even an LED light attachment......

So there it is, in the big two tiered tool box I got specially tor it, to replace the chintzy blow mold case the 4300 came with.......
But then.......

Like many Dremel owners, I kinda got carried away and bought all sorts of Dremel accessories, like a mini drill press, a flex attachment, and even a Dremel ball vise.......

I did eventually get to use most of the accessories with the new Dremel rotary tool on some projects. They work pretty good as long as the projects don't get too heavy, but I'm now always looking for projects I can justify the things with.
I still have the old model 380-5 which sits at the bottom tier of the tool box (can be seen to the right of the third pic). Turns out that there was just a lot of debris caught in one of the electric motor brush holders that was not letting it contact the armature properly. Cleaned it up and it works perfectly again. It's been relegated to the more messy projects though, Like grinding off old glue from tubular rims. But the old Dremel feels like it would just keep going on and on forever. Frankly, I don't think my new, fancier 4300 would last as long as the old 380-5......
Forgot to note.... I also bought one of these to use when I'm using my Dremel....

I don't know how I managed to not blind myself all these years using my Dremel, despite having glasses. A lot of things from the tool like wire filaments from the rotary brush tips flying off (always felt them hitting my face) could have killed my eyes, but I guess I was just lucky. Decided that I cannot tempt my luck any longer, so I got the face shield late last year. Works really well!

Last edited by Chombi1; 04-14-20 at 10:11 PM.