Thread: Culture change
View Single Post
Old 04-18-20, 05:12 AM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 790 Times in 402 Posts
Machka, I appreciate your sensitivity to the problem, and your ideas on how we can minimize personal contact. However, you have to be aware of the unintended consequences of such actions. By eliminating personal contact between people, and limiting exposure to bacteria and viruses, our bodies lose the ability to acquire natural immunity. An example of how this works were the polio epidemics of the last century. Those most likely to be crippled by polio were the children of the middle or upper classes who grew up in cleaner environments, while poorer kids who grew up in the dirty streets or on rural farms rarely suffered from serious cases. It is well known that kids who grow up largely outdoors or on farms become less sick from things like influenza or the common cold than kids who live in the city. By limiting or eliminating our exposure to many of the bugs that live in nature, we weaken our defenses to them, and if one or more of these bugs breaks into our society, our bodies find themselves unprepared, and we become quite sick.

As I have grown older I have gained an appreciation for things which I used to think were evils in society, like hardship and suffering. Our bodies need to be challenged to become stronger and more resilient, our human character must also suffer challenges to make it stronger and more resilient. Without these challenges, our bodies, minds, and characters cannot properly evolve and progress.