View Single Post
Old 04-19-20, 03:41 PM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by myisland
I believe that I applied the front break too hard and the flat remains a mystery. Because of neck pains I've ridden with my drop bars turned up for 30 years with no problems but my research has revealed the following post:

"In this scenario I assume the rider usually operates the brake levers with palms. A situation that calls for even just moderate application of the brakes (and/or grabby brakes) could cause the rider's weight to fall still harder onto the brake levers and result in a positive feedback loop that eliminates all possibility of any brake modulation. Worst-case scenario would be an endo. For the performance-minded there are many reasons not to turn up drop bars like this--not the least of which is the risk of un-weighting the front tire, but I think if levers can be installed in front of the handlebars to prevent the aforementioned feedback loop then for utility riding you might as well give this a shot."

So the cause is explained by physics. I will need to reposition my brakes keeping a handlebar height comfortable for my neck. May require new handlebars or a riser of some sort.
This was more or less the problem I had with my disk brake bike. I was thrown forward and trying to push myself back and grabbing onto the brake handles and applying the brakes bringing the wheels to a dead stop and me so far up the air that I could see the entire Redwood Canyon. Well, not quite but it sure felt that way at the time.