View Single Post
Old 04-19-20, 09:48 PM
Cycle Tourist

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by KiwiMtnClmbr View Post
I'm closer to a 54 - my best fit is a 550mm top tube '11 Kona Jake. I'm actually proud of myself for not buying that 720 on the spot bc it may have proved a bit small in the long run.

This is a novel idea and would be a cool way to try out a new frame. Also, it'd be pretty generous of someone, which would be unusual in life these days (especially mine).

I do have the option on a slightly upgraded aluminum frame Raleigh Revenio 1.0 for $150/175 locally. Not exactly what I was thinking of but I'm coming around to the idea - it seems it would/could serve as well or better than old steel for training up to and starting out on brevets.

Picking out a bike essentially online while quarantined has been a strange experience. Normally I'd do a lot more testing of stuff, hanging around at a co-op or going to an endurance event or two and getting a feel for what a good entry-level choice would be. I've also been strongly influenced to look at the Cannondale ST/T series as I've been told I might not really like how flexy full steel is even in a medium frame. Those seem to have the best of both worlds and I'm old enough not to care if they're ugly ;-).

Really though, I just need to get riding. I got a trainer from a friend, and my hotel patio is big enough to use it on in nice weather if I can't get enough time away from the kids to go pound some miles. And I'm going crazy cooped up.

Ok, enough interwebs therapy for one night...
My big tube aluminum touring bike cost me $100 from a bike shop that got stuck with a tune up repair bill from a guy that skipped. Not only did I get lucky, I can say with certainty, big tires give you a soft ride with the rock solid stability of aluminum. That being said I think on a medium frame, steel isn't too flexible especially on the second tier double butted models. Don't be afraid of well made straight gauge entry level touring bikes. You can use em "as is" just fine and upgrade them later for loaded touring. Just make sure the chain stays are a bit long for heel clearance.

Got this Miyata 610 for $200 today.

Last edited by Cycle Tourist; 04-19-20 at 09:52 PM.