Old 04-19-20, 09:49 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 805 Post(s)
Liked 704 Times in 376 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
Just guessing that medical technology repair might be a decent biz to get into, after the hullabaloo blows over, or perhaps before. There could be jobs with the local reps of the equipment makers (GE, etc.) or a position at a hospital or clinic network. There's likely to be more money in repairing million dollar gadgets, than thousand dollar gadgets. It might require a bit of training at your nearby tech school, or an employer willing to train you. A good diagnostician who can follow procedures is valuable. And your experience as a bike mechanic means people have trusted you for their safety, over and over again.

A friend of mine went from musical instrument repair, to diesel mechanic for the city bus service. Now he's got a union, retirement, etc.
FWIW: I went from 12 years in the bicycle business to software testing to being a pharmacy technician. When they found out I knew something about computers and mechanical stuff they made me the administrator for the hospital's automated dispensing machines. (Think vending machines for drugs.) I'm pretty near indispensable now. I work in a 5 hospital system and my counterparts at the other hospitals come to me with their questions. In the last couple weeks we've been very busy preparing for COVID patients- thankfully we have not been overwhelmed. It's a very interesting time.

I work directly with the vendor's repair people to fix things that I can't do myself. The repair guys are pretty cool- very knowledgeable about computer hardware and their specialized parts and willing to do what it takes to get a malfunctioning machine back in service. The downside is that they are spread thin- they're mobile and on call 24 hours a day. They have told me that they can rack up 40 hours of overtime per week.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Likes For Jeff Wills: