View Single Post
Old 04-22-20, 10:02 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
I spent a Lot of years riding a lot of miles in central Florida when Orlando was the cycling death capital of the nation, and while there were certainly a lot of inbred misfits, things got noticeably better after about a decade of the city governments taking cycling more seriously.

I have no idea what the area is like now, but I had a lot of fun riding for a lot of years, back when there were no bike lanes, and extending through the time where there were actually quite a few. The really bad actors stand out, but in truth, I could have chosen routes which kept me away from the worst of the traffic.

Riding through the city centers on the major auto routes is going to be sketchy anywhere. But unless you have to take those roads (which are equally dangerous for drivers) then there is a ton of good riding in Central Florida. I know there are a lot of very active cycling clubs in South Florida. Not sure about north Florida but I have a friend who rides paths and trails up there and says she enjoys it. The Panhandle is still in the Stone Age.... the bicycle hasn't been introduced there yet. if people see you riding they will think you are magic and will run away screaming.

If I still lived there i would still ride there and without worry (but i sure would avoid Highway 50 through Orlando, SR 436, 426 at Orange in Winter Park ... and few other choice death-zones.)
Likes For Maelochs: