Old 04-25-20, 10:34 PM
tNuvolari

Bikes: 1986 Torpado Beta, 2006 Wilier Triestina Izoard

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
80's Italian Bike but want to upgrade to Campy Index Shifting

Hi, I have an Italian bike from the 80's that I bought new and then slightly upgraded in the 90's with Campy New Chorus parts but I never touched the derailleurs. The bike still has its original Campy 980 derailleurs which work decently but I thought I'd like to move up to newer index shifting. What's the cheapest, easiest route? I don't really care how many speeds as even with my current 6 speed freewheel, I never need anything extra. So I'll give some details on what I have currently:

1986 Torpado Beta Bike with:
"New" Chorus crank 53/42, circa 1992
Regina Extra 6 speed freewheel
Regina chain
Campy Athena rear hub
Campy 980 derailleurs

So I realize that most of the above parts will need to be replaced but I'd like to keep the crankset. Will an old school crank work with newer derailleurs? I found a Record 10 speed front derailleur for very little money so how will that work with my crank?

For the rear derailleur, I've seen Record Titanium 10 speed RD for low prices. What else would I need to use this RD? I know it would require new levers/ergo, new chain and new hub+cassette. Is 10 speed Campy worth using? If not, which systems should I use or stay away from?

I like the idea of using Synchro II levers so I can retain the friction shifting method if I end up going down the rabbit hole and the index doesn't work. Or do the ergo levers work much better so that I shouldn't bother with downtube shifters? I've never ridden a bike with index shifting so bear with me through all this. From what I've read, there are so many paths to index shifting in the Campy world and many problems getting all of it to work together but I'm up for it.

Many thanks in advance.