guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by MonsterFat
Don't know if you have but you might want to consider BMC roadmachine too. I wound up going in that direction and I'm very pleased. I did a fair amount of geometry comparisons. From what I figured, stack and reach are only part of the story. Seat tube angle plays a role as well and from my calculations, that is not factored in-unless I am missing something. Stack and reach are measured from the center of the BB but I don't believe that accounts for the seat tube angle when composting different bikes. If I am wrong, someone please correct me. Other subtle differences, BB type, stem and handlebar compatibility based on headset/steerer tube size. The later may affect cockpit customization.
You are correct, STA is not really factored in. However, for a given fit (and assuming you are trying to replicate it on a different bike), the position of the saddle relative to the BB is fixed, letting you replicate the same pedalling position. So on a bike with a slacker STA, you'd move your saddle a little further forwards, and on a bike with a steeper STA, you'd move the saddle backwards. In effect, you are cancelling out the effect of the STA as in either case, your saddle will be at the same X/Y coordinates relative to the bottom bracket. That's what makes stack/reach a universal measurement that you can apply - it removes the variation in ETT caused by STA.

Back to the OP - unless you need a really high HT, have you considered the Cervelo R5? I got it recently and it blew my mind how comfortable a bike it is. You may need an additional 10-20mm of spacers, but the combination of stiffness and ride comfort on that frame is off the charts.

Like others, i would probably avoid the Headshoks and other shock absorbing mechanisms on a bike that is going to be ridden entirely or tarmac. And i say this as someone considering a Domane as an all-road bike.