Old 04-29-20, 09:58 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by rsteilberg
I recently moved into an area in the DC metropolitan area that is bike-commutable to work--about a 30 min ride. I also don't have a car and really needed something that could haul groceries to and from the grocery store 1.5 miles away. Would love to avoid getting a car and using Metro and bike all summer long to work (when we finally get let out of quarantine). It would also be neat if maybe one day I could take my bike out to some packed trails outside of the city area.

I run a lot but running limits how much of the area I can explore so being able to do fitness rides is also important to me.

I have never owned a "real" bike--rode my childhood Trek through college and haven't even had one for the past two years. After talking to two different shops I settled on the Trek Verve 3 Disc. The salesperson was nice but was pushing a Sirrus X 3.0 on me. I also test rode a Trek FX 3 Disc.

I ended up settling on the Verve 3 because it was cheaper, seemed more comfortable, and admittedly because I just loved the navy blue finish. Call me dumb but I have always been into aesthetics. I also picked the Verve because I knew Trek was a great brand and because the Verve was the bike I had researched.

Now I'm wondering if I made the wrong choice. The Verve is great for the grocery need--I've got two panniers on a rack on the back and it can haul a week's worth of groceries no problem. But when I ride for fitness (I've done 3 ~10 mile rides so far) it feels sluggish and heavy--like I have to really pedal my guts out to get the speed I want, especially on the slightest of grades. Browsing some forums lead me to believe that I maybe should have gone with the FX or Sirrus X instead.

I'm already planning on replacing the Bontrager Boulevard saddle with a Brooks B17 or B17 Special that's coming in the mail. Not sure how much that will help. Many people also tell me the suspension seat post is a gimmick and I should consider replacing it.

If I replaced the wheels (Bontrager H5 700x45mm) with something a bit slimmer and lighter would that help? Or should I just save up for a couple months and try to trade the Verve in for a Sirrux X 3.0 or 4.0?

Feeling pretty bummed about screwing up my first bike purchase.
​​​​
I think you are answering your own question. Namely that you get what you pay for.

The Verve is a nice comfort oriented bike, but it is not built for performance. Changing out the saddle won't help with performance, but if the stock saddle is uncomfortable, it might be more comfortable. And yes, get rid of the suspension seatpost. As for the tires, yes, something lighter and more supple might help a bit with performance, but it won't turn your Verve into something it isn't/