Old 04-30-20, 12:08 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
The Mustang was less than 3' away. Y'all must not ride with video cameras if you don't think that was close. The ultra-wide angle lenses distort perspective and apparent distance. I'd estimate 2.5' at best, and pulling the usual passive/aggressive BS by gunning the engine while passing.

But being N. Carolina (or S. Carolina), complaining to law enforcement wouldn't do any good. Statistically the Carolinas aren't the worst states. I'm not sure anyone comes close to Florida for worst. But I see a lot more examples out of the Carolinas of hostile drivers toward cyclists, than anywhere else. Way too many hit and run injuries and deaths in SC and NC. But it's difficult to cite statistics because nobody collates data methodically enough for incidences of driver negligence injuring and killing pedestrians and cyclists.

Yeah, that stuff can suck all the fun out of a ride. It's changed my riding behavior. I'm a lot more assertive about taking the lane and releasing it only when it's safe for me to do so. If anyone hits me they won't be able to claim they didn't see me or misjudged the distance because I'm not hugging the fog line. It'll be negligence.

But I'm not bullheaded stupid about it either. There are some roads I just won't ride anymore.