View Single Post
Old 05-04-20, 08:46 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4331 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
Originally Posted by phatcatkev
thanks for all the insight! What are the benefits of steel?
Steel is a very comfortable and forgiving ride. Steel can have a livelier more springy quality so it helps absorb vibrations and bumps a lot better than stiffer materials. It is also very easy to repair just about anywhere in the world and can be pretty abused and keep going. If I get a dent in steel unless it is a super light S3 tubing (or similar) or something really thin walled I am not worried about a crack forming or it failing on me right away like I might with aluminum.

People who haven't ridden a quality steel bike just dismiss it because they haven't ridden it and may not fully understand it or just see it as heavy because that is what people have said. If it was a poor choice for frames they wouldn't have made frames from it for so long and continue to do so and people wouldn't keep buying them. Having 7 steel bikes 1 2 ti bikes and 2 aluminum bikes (though one I am selling) I enjoy the ride of steel and with modern steel it is even better. Steel is not just so vintage material it is still very much modern.