View Single Post
Old 05-05-20, 07:03 AM
John N

Bikes: Co-Motion Americano Pinion P18; Co-Motion Americano Rohloff; Thorn Nomad MkII, Robert Beckman Skakkit (FOR SALE), Santana Tandem, ICE Adventure FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
John,

I can't speak if Neil is "afraid of people who are different from him" but personally do not think he is. He does defend vigorously his position and I will agree he is not the most gentle debater around. However, I also believe he does not start the name calling. My point you are referencing above is that the "others" are more in a big general universal sense like on the comments posts on news forums say on CNN or FOX or MSNBC but not Neil specifically. For instance, on CGoaB, I have seen people get pissed because he supports a particular Trump position and some others who hate Trump basically call Neil (and everyone else who likes Trump by default) an idiot. Neil responds vigorously pointing out WHY he has his position and then the person calling Neil an idiot replies in a huff (without pointing out WHY he hates Trump) and the pissing contest starts. Yes, Neil could try to tone down some but it also takes both sides to be kind and considerate. But then everyone can be gentler, including me and you. For instance, look at the way anger comes across in your last post. Just by not using a !, it would change the tone entirely and not be negative, just your opinion.

As a side note, I personally think his strong recommendation that people use their real names is great as people tend to post more kindly when they do.

While I am sad you and others will leave a bike touring site because you do not like the owner, I hope you consider lurking on CGoaB and feel if you can positively contribute something to a forum question to please do so. I personally do not prefer some posters here on BikeForums because to me they are bullies and know-it-alls-and-you-are-an-idiot but I still post here occasionally. I just try to avoid dealing with the ones I prefer to stay away from. Just like CGoaB, a couple posters do not make a website. Neil is a major force on CGoaB, but he is not the only force.

In regards to your OP, I still stand by ny opinion that, for me, CGoaB is better than CycleBlaze as a bike touring websites even after I compare the pros and cons of each site. I respect (but don't agree with) your opinion about CGoaB and as you show the same courtesy.

Tailwinds, John