Old 05-05-20, 10:34 PM
busygizmo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
2008 Scott CR1 Tire and Gearing Questions

Hey all,

I have a 2008 Scott CR1 that I've been happy with over the years. I probably average 1K miles a year so it's not high mileage. I've been looking the last couple of years at getting something newer mainly for lower gearing and wider tires. Recent furlough and the reality that my job isn't likely to return any time soon means that I'm looking to upgrade my current bike.

I ride a lot on Vashon Island near Seattle, if you get off the main highway it's essentially country roads with little traffic and lots of hills. The problem is that the roads are rough in places, often chipseal, and the climbs can be steep, 13%-20% with one supposedly hitting 28% for a short section. I end up grinding out of the saddle in my lowest gear for many of these climbs. I switched to a compact double several years ago but still with a 11-25 cogset it would be better with a 27 or 28 in the rear. The components are 6600 Ultegra that say you can only get a 27 tooth max cog but am wondering if anyone has experience with a 28 tooth cog? I was looking at upgrading to 11 speed but then would also have to deal with the freehub spacing so figure I'll deal with just upgrading the cogset and eventually replace the bike later.

I'd also like wider tires than the Conti GP4000 23mm I have now. The width doesn't look like an issue but the rear brake bridge only clears the current tire by about 2mm. Anyone used 25mm Conti's on an older Scott CR1? Alternatively is there a more comfortable tire that is similar in quality to the Conti's? I've read good things about the Specialized Turbo Cotton tires that come in 24mm but am not sure about durability and how they handle occasional rain. Wheels are Mavic Ksyrium Elite, outside with 19mm.

Thanks.