View Single Post
Old 05-08-20, 10:39 AM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by BassistBiker
So based on a LOT of internet research, I switched to a Brooks B17 (aged), and now I've given it about 500 miles, and MANY different adjustments (currently set just slightly nose high), and to be perfectly honest, the pain from this saddle is nearly unbearable, .
That kind of pain is annoying - and potentially problematic if you ignore it.

I bought a B17 Narrow Imperial (has a cut out) last year and have ridden it about 300 miles. It's still almost as hard as it was on day 1 - I applied Proofide once. Luckily, the seat fits me at least as well as any other that I have tried and the cut out limits perineum pain. I like the fact that it's so easy to slide around on the leather as I (think) that I move around on it more unconsciously and this makes it pretty comfortable by limiting pressure points..

If the seat seems to fit you other than the perineum pain, my suggestion to you is to consider cutting your own pressure relief joint in it. There's probably someone on the internet who has tried this and can provide guidance (a search of BF may yield some info.) You will need to lace the bottom edges of the seat together to keep the seat from stretching too much - if your seat is not already laced.

You could also just try one of the Brooks Imperial designs with the cut out and lacing already done - but this will set you back over $100.

Good Luck.