Old 05-08-20, 01:56 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 1,181 Posts
Originally Posted by kumachan
Hi, All, a bit of info on the most southern section of the Old Croton Aqueduct/Old Putnam Railway trail. I live in the Riverdale section of the Bronx and ride in Van Cortlandt Park, everyday. There is a mix of gravel, dirt and paved riding in there. The OCA/OPR starts (or ends, depending on which direction you're riding) at Van Cortlandt Park. Unfortunately, the OCA/OPR is closed in Vannie, right now, as the NYC section of the trail is undergoing some serious construction (backhoes & bulldozers). Yup, The City is finally working on paving that last section of hard pack dirt trail into a paved bike path. I believe that the bike path re-opens at the Alan B. Shepard Pl. access in Yonkers, though, if you wanted to ride the trail down and connect up with either MetroNorth or the subway in Riverdale.
The Old Croton Aqueduct and the Old Put RR trail are not the same trail in VCP, as far as I'm aware.

The Friends of the OCA have an interactive trail map here - https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/vi...420840887&z=16

You can see that the OCA is a bit to the east of the Old Put, which runs closer to the Saw Mill Parkway and which is the dirt path being paved by NYC Parks as an extension of the (Westchester) South County Trail.